Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Monday, January 26, 2009

Back at the Vet

Norman had to go back to the Vet this morning to have his lump removed. The pathologist was unable to tell from the needle aspiration whether the lump is cancerous, so Lyn wanted to re-poke him to get another sample. I felt it was best to just remove the lump altogether and be done with it. I know from experience that this is really the only way to be 100% sure. The pathologist can determine conclusively if the mass is cancerous if we send the whole thing.

Here is a photo of his latest lump - you can see it there below his carpal bad. It has grown a lot since last week, when it was kind of nondescript. It is certainly well defined now. You can't tell from the photo, but it's dark in color, covered in fur and sort of scaly. It is really hard and mobile, and does not seem to be causing him any discomfort. Due to its location though, it gets bumped a lot, which may be causing it to get bigger. His last three MCT's were very small and bright pink - they were about the size of a pencil eraser. Due to their small size and location, the Vet was able to achieve 2cm margins all around, but this one is too big and in a bad location, so Lyn will not be able to get such liberal margins. I really hope this isn't MCT again.

new lump on Norman's leg

I didn't think it was a MCT when I first saw it, but you never know with those blasted things. They can really look like anything. The fact that it is growing quickly is rather alarming, and it's in a weird place to be a callous, like I originally thought it was.

I am always nervous when Norman has to go under anesthesia, so please be thinking about him today. I'm sorry to make a post like this, as I don't want anyone to worry about Norman, but it helps me to know you all are thinking about him.

He also needs to have his teeth cleaned and one of his whittle toofies removed, so this is a good time for surgery. On the other hand, we will be out of town next week, and Norman will be staying Camp Chi-Chi's for the week, so maybe it isn't the *best* time for him to have stitches, but he's tough and will manage!

I'll let you all know when Lyn calls me after his surgery. Poor Shmoopy ...

UPDATE 10:15am

Lyn called and said Norman is going into surgery. She is going to remove the lump then do his teeth. She said she'd call in between procedures. She's so sweet ...

UPDATE 11:04am

It's really awesome to have a friend who is a Vet, and especially such a good friend as Lyn. She just called and told me that he is doing great through his surgery. She excised the mass, and checked under the microscope and still doesn't see any cancer cells. She thinks it could be some sort of fungal infection (like maybe ringworm) or just a clogged follicle, but regardless, she agrees that it is a weird lump! She let me hear his heart monitor beeping and listen to him breathe over the phone. Isn't that just so sweet? They're doing his teeth cleaning now. He'll be drugged for the rest of the day, so that should be fun! LOL! I'll try to keep him from calling any of you, because we know how raunchy "drunk dialing" can get!!

UPDATE 11:49am

Norman has to lose more toofies than we thought. Poor little bugger. He has to have five pulled across the bottom and one on the top. Lyn said they are loose, and if he has periodontal disease that it will spread to other teeth, and he will lose those too, so it's best to pull them now. Poor Norman! I feel so awful about him losing his teefies. I hope it doesn't bother him. Lyn said he doesn't use those teeth to eat - they're just there for ripping meat up in the wild. And since we don't make him rip meat apart, he won't notice. I still feel guilty though. I should have taken better care of his teeth. Bad owner.

18 Comments:

  • At 9:32 AM, Blogger Page said…

    Oh, poor Norman! I'll certainly be thinking and praying for him today! I know how you feel...I always get SO STRESSED when the pugs go under anesthesia and the last time when they had their teeth cleaned and a few removed that was a really tough experience. You are so lucky to have a friend who is a vet, though. I just know she'll be extra careful.

    And that explains Sandy's post!! I was wondering...I think I'm going to steal Norman from her...

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger Too Cute Pugs said…

    Aw, we will be thinking about Norman today and sending healthy thoughts his way. Poor little guy. :o(

    Pug love from,
    Pearl & Daisy

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger Salinger The Pug said…

    Poor baby! We'll be sending lots of "happy puppy" thoughts his way today!

    Paws crossed for good news later!

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Pam said…

    Poor Norman. I'll be thinking about him today and sending good thoughts your way. hugs.

     
  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger kristie said…

    sending norman good thoughts today. i bet he will have a great time at camp chichi next week though. and sandy will take excellent care of him.

     
  • At 10:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good luck, Norman! We'll be thinking and praying for you today. Woman is smart to just have the thing lopped off - it certainly seems to be the best/safest option.

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger "M" said…

    Norman is in my thoughts today...knowing a good report will be on the way! :-)

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor Norman! He might go poop on your new rug again after this!
    I am glad that he is doing alright and that is incredibly awesome of Lyn to do that for you!

     
  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Harry Pugalicious said…

    Oh, Poor Norman! We's glad it looks like his lump is not the cancer but sad about his teethies.

    Maybe I should let my Mom brush mine more....

    Feel better, Norman - we's thinking about you!

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Jemima Jones Beck said…

    We are certainly thinking about Norman today and hope that everything turns out OK!
    Jemima Jones Beck

     
  • At 1:11 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Sounds like it's all good...I bet having those teeth out won't slow him down. I think Holly doesn't have too many teeth left and she still does pretty good with soft treats and wet dog food. Alfred is looking forward to have someone play stuff animals with him.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Tami said…

    I will be praying for Norman.
    You are not a bad parent for not noticing Norman's teeth. Pugs are not dogs that show their teeth so it's normal to just "forget" them. We have never cleaned Guido's teeth. I guess I will be looking at them ... won't he enjoy that!

     
  • At 2:50 PM, Blogger Punchbugpug said…

    Signed on late today and see Norman is having "quite" a day! Hope all is well and he will be back to himself real soon. Teeth...ugh...I hate to think about having them done...mine HATE teeth cleaning...HATE HATE HATE...

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Eduardo said…

    OMD! I'll be snuggling for Norman & Mommy is praying super hard for him!
    Hugs & Snugs
    Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Leah said…

    Awww, what a great friend/vet! And tell Norman that Daisy understands what he is going through--she had her four bottom front teeth pulled last summer. And she came home and ate like nothing ever happened!

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Blogger The Devil Dog said…

    Poor Norman, losing his chicklets like that. But better be safe than sorry. We are glad there seem to be no cancer cells in the lump. And it is very sweet that your vet gives you regular updates. Hope Norman is back to himself real soon.

    Roxy

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Blogger AM said…

    Oh no! Now he cant rip meat in the wild! That's too funny. Sorry he had to lose so many teeth though. I dont think I'd mind it if Norman drunk dialed me!

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Nevis said…

    ((((huggies))) Sorry that Norman had to go through that. I suppose I should be brushing the puggies teeth, huh? Those dental bones don't do it alone?? I'm so glad Normy doesn't have cancer, though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home