Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Thursday, July 26, 2007

See My Fern Garden!

Check it out! It's my fern garden!

shade_garden_7_2007_b

OK, I guess I didn't really build it - Woman did ... but I helped! You know those rocks are heavy, and somepug had to help carry them from one side of the deck to the other. OK, you caught me again. Woman did that too. She said it hurt her back, so I was staying away from that activity.

The "trench" where the fern garden now lives used to be filled with gravel-like rocks. It was ugly and leaves and crap collected there. Most of the crap that collected there was stuff Woman was too lazy to put away like bags of potting soil, empty planters and garden tools. Woman transformed it into a lovely fern garden though. I think it's pretty cool.

Here is her favorite fern, a Red Japanese Painted fern. I guess it's cool with that burgundy stripe going down the center of each frond, but shouldn't it be a Burgundy Japanese Painted fern?

japanese_painted_red_fern_7_2007

And here is another of her favorites, an Autumn Brilliance fern. Woman says it will turn red, orange and yellow in the Fall!

autumn_brilliance_fern_7_2007

The little beds Woman made out of rocks are filled with Lady Ferns, but they have not popped up out of the ground yet. Woman is worried that they might not come up at all, because it has been like 5 weeks since she planted them.

If you look closely, you'll see that this isn't really just a fern garden. Woman got bored of ferns and added some other shade-loving plants too. There is some Solomon's Seal, Lily of the Valley, and Bleeding Heart too. She is also growing some Toad Lilies from seed that she plans to add when they are big enough.

I think I know too much about gardening for a dog, but Woman talks about it all-the-time, so I can't help but pick up on a few things.

9 Comments:

  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger kristie said…

    norman, your fern garden is lovely...you look smashing against the green ferns. i have a super shady yard so if you can remember anything at all the woman may have said about shade gardening, feel free to post more about it!

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Page said…

    Norman, your Woman did very well with the garden...it looks beautiful! Ask her if she has had any luck growing gardenias, as i'm on about the sixth one that i've killed (not on purpose!) Those darn bushes just die on me all the time! What to do??

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    Page - where do you live? Gardenias are generally not winter-hardy south of zone 7. You might also need to check your soil pH as Gardenias like a little bit of a sour soil, between 5 and 6. If your pH is off, the plant won't be able to absorb nutrients. You can lower your pH by adding sulfur to the soil.

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Norman, did you carry those rocks out of the mountains up there? Your mama sure knows a lot about gardening. I might have a question in the future for you to ask her.

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Page said…

    Hey again! I live in the Panhandle of Florida. What does that mean? What zone am I in? Oh, and, if by "sour soil" you mean pug pee, then it's, uhhh, very sour. You know, come to think of it, maybe that's the problem. Winston hikes his leg on my gardenias. But then, I thought gardenias like a lot of acidity, so I just didn't worry about it. Hmmm...

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    Everything sounds right on target Page. Maybe gardenias just aren't your lucky plant!

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger Pugsley, Buster, Cricket & Daisy said…

    Very good garden!! We love fern also.

    Pugsley, Buster, Cricket and little Daisy

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Duke and Gidget said…

    Cool garden. I love to water the plants. And the lawn furniture.

    Duke

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Beautiful garden. I'm sure your woman appreciated all of your help norman.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home