Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

No Fresh Broccoli for the Pug

So I am pretty bummed that I am not going to get fresh broccoli from the garden this year. You see, Woman has been growing me some broccoli since May, and it finally came time to harvest it this week. But when Woman was cleaning it in the sink, she noticed gross gooey worms burrowing between the florets! She checked the rest of the crop, and it all has the gross worms! I told her I would eat it with the gross worms, but she still threw it out.

Yes, I eat broccoli. After I was diagnosed with my second mast cell tumor last July, Woman took me to a holistic Vet who put me on a holistic diet of beef and broccoli. Apparently broccoli is the cancer-fighting vegetable. Well, according to this lady it is, and if you don't agree, please keep it to yourself :) So anyway, I have been eating it every day, twice a day, for over a year now. At first Woman had to cook it and chop it up really finely to mix in with the beef in order to get me to eat it, but eventually we progressed to her not having to cook it or chop it up finely. I eat it raw, right from the stalk! I don't mind it either. I did get another mast cell tumor last August, but I haven't had one since then! I am keeping my toes crossed that I don't get any more ever!

3 Comments:

  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger Manda Girl said…

    Norman, that's good to know! We were discussing with our vet yesterday what the next ingrediant should be for the girls dinners and now I know I will add broccoli!

    Sorry the crop is bad - gross, worms!

     
  • At 2:39 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Norman, I saw a worm ONE time in my broccoli from the grocery store! I would never eat it again unless it came from frozen or came in the steamer bag but in the back of my mind I keep thinking of the worm. Then I find out when shucking corn there are worms there, too. After all, these things come out of the garden...do you think we should boycott all things grown out of a garden?

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    rpm - There are bugs on all veg. I know it's gross to think about, but after having tended a garden for the past couple months, it's a reality that has to be faced. Just wash those vegetables really well!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home