Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Monday, August 07, 2006

Saddest Thing Ever

The saddest thing in the history of the world happened last week... It all started when the Woman got off the phone with Mr. Chris and gave me the good news that he had closed on his house, and we would be visiting him within the next few weeks. She also told me that Chew Bear had accepted a job as an international Flight Attendant and would not be there for my visit. I was a little perplexed by this Chew Bear thing, because we are very close, and she has never shown any interest in becoming a Flight Attendant in the past. She is also a little too chubby to fit down those narrow airplane isles. So, I did a little research and found that you have to go to school to become a Flight Attendant, and I know Chew Bear would never pass any written exams since she can't read or write. My suspicion began to mount. I sent her several pee mails, but they all went unanswered. I asked the Woman to call and talk to Chew Bear, but she said the phone was out of service.

Finally, last night Chew Bear appeared to me in a dream, sadly, from doggy heaven. She said her little heart gave out on her when Brother jumped out from under the couch to scare her. She had heart worms about a year ago, and she hasn't been quite the same since. She also told me she was very happy in doggy heaven and she has been reunited with Cocoa, Mr. Chris's family's Pomeranian that passed away a year or so ago. She said she will miss me a lot, and she is hoping not to see me for a long, long time, and she's glad to have a break from Brother for a while. She couldn't talk long and said she couldn't ever call again, because they only allow you one call from doggy heaven before you cross over the rainbow bridge. I am touched that she used her only call to call me.

I can't describe the sadness I feel knowing that the Chewb is gone. She has been my best friend since the day the People picked me up from the breeders. Before they even took me home for the first time, we stopped off at Mr. Chris's house so I could meet him and the Chewb. Chew Bear was a lot bigger than me at the time, because she was about 6 months older than me, and I was intimidated by her size. I quickly got over that though, and we have been best friends ever since. Chew Bear wasn't an evil dog, and she wasn't a very smart dog, but she was a good dog, and a great friend. I will still look for her every time I visit Mr. Chris, hoping that I was just mistaken in what I saw and heard in my dream, and I will think of her often.

Chew Bear as a puppy at her first Christmas. Mr. Chris received her as a gift from his parents during Christmas 2000.



Chew Bear and I shortly after we met. I would soften up my chew stick for her and let her have it after she finished her own.



Chew Bear liked to have her belly rubbed, and she would put her front paws together and wave them up and down saying, "Yes, sir, may I have another."



Chew Bear loved to run and play outside, and although she never once beat me at fetch, she was always a gracious loser.



Chew Bear was very photogenic and loved to smile for the camera.



Please share any Chew Bear memories you may have in the comments section. She will be sadly missed by everyone who has ever met her, and not easily replaced in Mr. Chris's heart (except by maybe a Lady Pug).

3 Comments:

  • At 3:01 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    My most memorable Chew Bear moment was not really a good moment for me, but a funny story to share. It was about 3 years ago, and we were living in the rental house in Mobile. We were Chewb-sitting for Mr. Chris while he was looking for an apartment in Atlanta. It was a nice warm day, so the door was open for you and the Chewb to run around and play. I was taking a nap on the floor for whatever reason, and I awoke to the Chewb licking my face, which was not unusual - she was a kisser and always trying to steal one from me in particular. What was unusual was the dead thing Chew Bear had laid in my hand. I don't know if it was a frog or rodent of some type, because I didn't give it that close a look before screaming for Ian and throwing it across the room. I tossed her chubby little butt out the door and went back to nappy land. The Chewb obviously thought she had pleased me with this gift, as she found another dead thing and laid it in my slumbering hand. Needless to say, after I woke up the second time, I closed the door so you and Chewb could not bring me any more gifts.

    I will miss the Chewb's funny little antics. She was a sweetheart of a dog and a great friend to you Norman.

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger My Pugs Blogger said…

    I'm sorry for your loss Norman. I bet Chew Bear is always going to look out for you and make sure that it's many years before meeting you again.

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    I am so sorry to hear about ChewBear. She is truly an angel now and got her wings. Tell Mr. Chris we hope his heart is going to mend soon. What a great friend she must have been.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home