Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Christmas Sweater

For the past three years, Woman has knitted Baby Sarah a sweater for Christmas. This year she decided to go where this Woman has not gone before and try her hand at cabling. Don't know what cabling is? Well, you're not alone. I have no idea either. Let's just look at the pictures and nod our heads like we understand what's going on. I'm not in any of these pictures, so prepare yourself for your first disappointment of 2009.

This year Woman made a sweater from the knitting book she got last year for christmas, Celtic Knits. Although she started on the sweater early, she was still scrambling on Christmas Eve to finish it up on time. Woman would like to warn you that there are some errors in this pattern, and for that she curses Debbie Bliss to a year of dropped stitches.

sweater knit by tammy for sarah

back of sweater knit by tammy for sarah

This is cabling. Woman said it's not as hard as it looks - you just have to be careful to pay close attention to the pattern and constantly check your work as you are progressing along the row.

close up of detail on side of sweater

Even the cuff has some cabling on it.

cuff of sweater

Sarah was surprisingly stoked about her sweater for a 3 year old. I guess she was all hopped up on Christmas dust!

sarah likes her new sweater made by tammy

As always, the sweater was too big. Sarah is 3, but knowing her sweaters are ALWAYS too big, Woman made the sweater according to the pattern for a 2 year old. Oh well Woman. Maybe she can wear it next year!

sarah in her sweater knitted by tammy

Woman will be starting on a sweater for herself in the coming days. She has never made a big girl sweater before and is pretty excited about it!

13 Comments:

  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger Pam said…

    It's absolutely gorgeous! Great job.

    Happy New Year!

     
  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger Pam said…

    It's absolutely gorgeous! Great job.

    Happy New Year!

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger The Devil Dog said…

    Mom thinks Woman did an awesome job on the sweater. Mom did a baby blanket with cables once, cured her of that pattern! lol We think the sweater is very pretty.

    Happy New Year

    Lucky & Roxy

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Tami said…

    You never fail to amaze me with your beautiful work. I hope Sarah's Mommy saves these gems.

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger kristie said…

    very pretty! i love cabling and have made several cabled scarves. woman can feel free to make me a sweater....baby sarah's may have even fit me!

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Blogger Jemima Jones Beck said…

    My Mom says that you should warn your Woman that big girl/boy sweaters suck. She has been working on the same evil cabled sweater for Dad for 2 years - and no, she is not a slow knitters, it's just that big person sweaters are knitters purgatory...in Mom's opinion.
    Sarah's sweater is awesome! Wonderful job!
    Love,
    Jemima Jones Beck

     
  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger martha said…

    I'm currently learning to do more advanced knitting, and I'm in awe of your sweater! It's absolutely beautiful!!! Right before I sat down to browse through my favorite pug places, I was working on a sweater for my grandson, that includes a multi-colored cowboy knit into the back. It is very h-a-r-d! I'm hoping to have it finished for his February 5 birthday.

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger Punchbugpug said…

    The sweater is amazing! I have cabled in the past and love doing it...just have to concentrate BIG TIME! I have also made (and taken apart) many big girl sweaters! The hardest part is the sizing! They never seem to be correct, which requires constant measuring and checking!

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Page said…

    OMG, that is gorgeous! I've seen the section in my knitting book about cabling but laughed at it. I dont' know how to do anything but scarves. That is such a sweet gift!

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    "It's a beaut, Clark!" - no, seriously - it's fabulous. If woman promised to knit a sweater for my baby every year, I would almost be convinced to procreate.

     
  • At 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the sweater looks amazing! :)
    You should do one for Norman! lol

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger AM said…

    Great job with that sweater! It is very impressive. I look forward to seeing your Big Girl sweater. :)

     
  • At 1:54 PM, Blogger Swampgirl said…

    I LOVE it! I like to knit but, that is way beyond my skill level. Good luck on your own sweater -I'm sure it will be beautiful!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home