Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

What's in a Name?

Sometimes I get called Mr. Norman, and sometimes (rarely) I get called Sir Norman, but my official AKC registered name is Goodboy Norman Featherstone. It's quite regal, isn't it? Where does it come from? Well, the Woman picked out the name "Norman" before she ever even met me, and decided that she was looking for "the" Pug named Norman. Why did she want "the" Pug named Norman? She says Norman is an old man name, and Pugs look like old men, so it just fits that there would be a Pug named Norman waiting for her to take him home. Sure, there are other Pugs named Norman, but I am her Pug named Norman. So, where did the rest of my name come from? The Woman thought Norman was a little too bland to have as an official AKC name, so she got the rest of it from the Terry Pratchett book, "Guards! Guards!" In the book, there is a swamp dragon named Goodboy Bindle Featherstone, and she really likes Terry Pratchett books and swamp dragons, so I got part of this character's name. I hope this clears up any questions about my weird name. FYI, I never get called Goodboy Norman Featherstone - it's always just Norman or some strange nickname of the day.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Well, that's a fine name for a fine looking Goodboy. It's interesting to hear where the whole name came from..a mixture of places. I thought maybe featherstone was an Indian name, which I think you would be a chief!

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger Kara (Turskey) Vaught said…

    I feel very enlightened now. I always refer to you as Goodboy Norman. I tell Alan "Goodboy Norman said..." and he shakes his head at me. Pug, so he says, can't talk. Whatever!

     
  • At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My hubby is a Pratchett fan and wondered right away if that was the origin. Very cool!

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Punchbugpug said…

    Norman is such a fun name!!!! We're just wondering about the "good boy" part....are you trying to live up to it???? :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home