Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

2008 Gingerbread House Competition

The People had a pretty busy weekend of shopping and stuff, mostly leaving me at home to think my thoughts. Since I don't have a whole lot of thoughts that need thinking, I just slept most of the time, trying to find some new thoughts to think. Sleep is good for that.

On Sunday, the People went to the Grove Park Inn for lunch and to see the annual Gingerbread House Competition winners. The rules are that everything used in construction of the house must be edible. Let's have a look at some of those scrumptious houses!

This is one of Woman's favorites, because it has little people soaking in their own little hot tub.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

Sadly, one of the little people has a broken leg and cannot get in the hot tub. I wonder if this in some way mimics the artist's real life experience. Woman also likes this house because it makes good use of beans as rocks for the chimney and rock wall. So cool!

grove park inn gingerbread competition

Woman really liked this castle too, because the colors are so soothing and very fairytale-like.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

Check out the detail on the roofs and the glitter in the snow. Magical! There should be a unicorn somewhere in this setting. Maybe that's why this house didn't win.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

The tree for this house was carved from a big block of chocolate! I bet it cost a fortune!

grove park inn gingerbread competition

The artist added a little squirrel building a snowman to her design. Pretty cute, but I think a pug would have helped boost this creation into the top three.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

Woman's favorite entry was the third place winner. She said it reminds her of moonglade in World of Warcraft.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

The painting effects are quite lovely.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

And that gold paint is a nice accent.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

This entry was the second place winner.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

It was very complex and had a jolly little scene inside.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

The artist even included a greenhouse outside. She must be a gardener.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

The first prize winner was a bit of a let down to Woman, because it is actually a cupboard and not a house at all. It's nice and all, but Woman doesn't think it really qualifies as a gingerbread house as no one actually lives in it. Yes, you can argue that mice could live in it, but come on, that's a pretty weak argument.

grove park inn gingerbread competition

You can check out more photos here if you're interested. I'm not in any of them though, so I can't imagine you care to view them.

18 Comments:

  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger Priscilla said…

    I've always wanted to make an awesome Gingerbread house. I've made little ones when the boys were younger but nothing like these.

    WOW!

    When do you start on these things? Like months before Christmas I would guess. Don't you wonder how they do it?

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    I bet some of them are years in the making. They're amazing, and pretty big too!

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Jemima Jones Beck said…

    Wow! Thats cool! They don't do anything exciting like that here in Denver.
    And your right, who would want to view more pictures that don't feature you ;)
    Love,
    Jemima Jones Beck

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Magnolia Sun said…

    Wow those are amazing, I would hate to eat it after all that work.

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger ♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said…

    wow how creative are those? I like the one with the one fireplace made out of sunflower seeds!

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger kristie said…

    i agree that the top winner wasn't really a 'house' i liked the one with the chimney made of beans. i think woman should make a gingerbread house and let you assist, norman.

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    wow - these are so cool!! I am making a gingerbread house with some girlfriends this weekend. I don't think they'll turn out like these, but now I have some inspiration!

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger The Devil Dog said…

    Those are totally amazing. My mom agrees with Woman about the 1st place "house". Plus, mom thinks the others are much more creative. Thanks for the photos.

    Roxy

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger Pam said…

    Those are so neat. I need to remember to go to that next year.

     
  • At 2:24 AM, Blogger Ronin_The_Pug said…

    AWEEEESOME!!!! So cool! You know you gave the human with the computer an idea... hihihi!

    Huuuuuuuugs!

     
  • At 6:39 AM, Blogger Tami said…

    I agree with you about the cupboard not being a house. It is cute, but it should not have won any awards in this competition.
    The others are simply amazing!!

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger Page said…

    Yeah, that first place one was not cool. I loved the others, though. Especially that gangly old tree...I wonder if they used tootsie rolls for that? I want to bite into them...

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those are incredible!! I agree with the first one although the details in that are amazing.. This is making me kind of hungry and kind of sad that my ginger bread house will never look like that!!

     
  • At 11:57 AM, Blogger Eduardo said…

    I soooooo think that the 3rd place winner should have won 1st place! I've got an award for you!
    Hugs & Snugs
    Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Nevis said…

    WOW! I can't believe the one that won, won. It does seem like a letdown. The 3rd place house, the one that looks like moonglade should've TOTALLY won. It was much cooler.

     
  • At 1:52 PM, Blogger "M" said…

    Those are unbelievable!

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    WOWZA! Those are amazing! AMAZING! I bet it smelled good in there!

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Hey Norman and Woman....we just got back from up there and I saw them, too. Your pictures are great. I'll be posting mine soon. Where did y'all eat up there? We ate at the Deerpark for lunch at the Biltmore estate. I wish we would have had time to come by but it was a quick trip! Norman....I would have squeezed you good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home