Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Story about a Bee

I know some of my readers have low tolerance for insects and stories about insects, so if you are one of those people, you might want to skip this post. It involves a bee and Woman...

Woman and I were sitting out back on the porch one morning last week. She was enjoying her morning coffee, and I was sitting on her lap getting some butt scratches. She was sitting on one chair and had her legs propped up on another chair to give me better lap space. She had on her gardening sandals that have just one thick strap that extends across the foot, so when she sits with her feet propped up, there is a gap between the sole of the sandal and her foot.

So, we're sitting there listening to the birds chirping away when a gigantic bumble bee starts buzzing around us and lands on Woman's big toe. Woman didn't move, because she didn't want to get stung and figured it would fly off quickly, but it didn't. The bee decided to do some investigating and crawled into the space between the sole of her sandal and her foot. Woman was clenching her teeth and digging her nails into her leg to keep from freaking out, because the bee was tickling her, and it's really freaky to have a bee crawling around on your foot. She knew she couldn't move, or she might crush the bee and get stung, so she just had to sit there and take it. After about a minute, the bee finally crawled out of her shoe and flew off. A minute might not sound like a long time, but when you've got a bee crawling around on the bottom of your very ticklish foot, it seems like a lifetime! Once the bee was gone, we immediately jumped up and finished our morning routine inside, away from bees.

Woman loves bees because they pollinate the vegetable garden, and she likes to listen to the buzzing song they sing while collecting pollen, but now she swats at them when they threaten our morning time together. Hopefully neither one of us ends up stung!

12 Comments:

  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Page said…

    Bees freak me out, but not as much as wasps. Fortunately, I've never been stung by any of them. I hear it hurts. But, I'm not looking to find out for myself. Winston once attempted to eat a black wasp in Gainesville. It stung him in his mouth and he quickly spit it out, but he was fine. Then, another time in Gainesville he stuck his head in a wasp's nest on the ground and got stung on his face...his cheek wrinkles swelled up a bit but he was fine (and you better believe I had the emergency vet clinic on speed dial). Now that I think about it, he had a lot of insect incidents in Gville...a stink bug squirted him in the eye one time outside and we had to call poison control since he eye swelled shut. Okay, this was probably way more information than you wanted to read! I'm glad you and the Woman weren't stung!

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Punchbugpug said…

    Wow, Woman is VERY brave!!!! I can see the picture of that HUGE GIGANTIC SCARY BEE in her shoe!!!!

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    You are lucky to have never been stung Page. Woman was stung MANY times as a kid, and that is why she ALWAYS wears shoes. She said every time she went barefoot in the yard as a kid she got stung! She is probably exaggerating a bit though. I'm so sorry Winston has had problems with insects. It sounds like he might not be an "outdoorsy" kind of dog! LOL!

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Clover said…

    Yikes! That sounds pretty scary! My mom wouldn't have been able to handle it, with her super ticklish feet. Way to go, Woman! :)
    Love Clover xo

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger Tami said…

    I was holding my breath reading this! I'm glad Woman did not get stung. That would have been a terrible spot! She did the right thing by not moving.

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have stepped on bees as a kid as well! My 2nd toe swelled to the size of my big toe once and I had to get my grandma to pull the stinger out! El terrible!

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger ♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said…

    Woman is brave to sit still! I would have freaked out! Like today and guess what??? I did get stung! OUCHIE!

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Christine & Giggs said…

    OMG I got the heebie jeebies just reading about it! Brave, brave woman not to freak out.

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger The Devil Dog said…

    YiiiiiKKKKKESSSSSSS! Woman is very brave. Mom is not so sure she would have been able to sit still. Mom does not likes bugs.

    Roxy

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    aah - we have those big fatty bumble bees AND honey bees in our back yard and I refuse to swat at them or kill them because they are great and everything, but I'm terrified every time I go outside, mostly for the dogs - they like to stick their faces right on top of them and chase them around the yard. Way to keep your cool!

     
  • At 2:09 AM, Blogger Sandy said…

    That means the Woman is sweet as a flower!

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Pam said…

    Wow, I think I woudl have surely stopped breathing for that entire minute.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home