Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Knitter's Christmas List

Christmas is coming! What will we buy our husbands? Well, I doubt you will find it on this list (except for Tami), but if you're a knitter, maybe you can nudge him in the direction of this blog entry for some ideas! Happy shopping everyone!
  • My top pick for the knitter in your life is a gift certificate to the local yarn store. All knitters complain about the prices at the local yarn store, but they know Michael's and A.C. Moore don't sell the quality yarn you can get at a local store. Make your knitter's day with a spending spree!
  • The aspiring knitter will appreciate a Beginner's Knitting Set. This book is the only instruction I have had in my knitting "career," and I am able to knit anything from the simplest scarf to a complex fair isle sweater.
  • Anyone who has ever used bamboo knitting needles probably agrees that they are far superior to metal needles. They are more pliable, which makes them more comfortable on the hands. This means longer knitting sessions! You can upgrade that purchase to Rosewood needles if you're really out to impress someone!
  • This pattern a day calendar will give your knitter daily knitting ideas.
  • Storage is always an issue for knitters when we're working on a project. I know I usually have yarn and needles strewn around the house, and most of the time I can't find anything! This knitter's tote looks like a great solution for our organization woes. This lower-priced model looks nice too!
  • I have been very happy with the Debbie Bliss pattern books. I have even emailed her in the past asking for some advice on one of her patterns, and she was quick and happy to respond to me. I am confident in recommending her books to you as a gift idea. This celtic knits book looks particularly interesting to me!
  • For the knitter whose ambition outweighs their availability, I recommend a knitting machine. Technically, it's not cheating, but it is expensive. I don't have one, but I think they're pretty cool.
  • Help your knitter start their own brand with personalized knitting labels. A personalized tag is a lovely finishing touch to that handmade project.
  • For the real knitting fanatic, this knitting car magnet will let the world know just how string-crazy your knitter is!
  • This little gadget bag organizes all those miscellaneous items that seem to disappear.
  • The Power Knitter will appreciate these Theragloves for extra support during those late-night knitting sessions.
If you have any other ideas, please feel free to add them to the comments. I encourage all you bloggers to pick a subject and write up a list of gift ideas! Don't make me turn this into a Meme! I will start naming names.

20 Comments:

  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger Tami said…

    Okay, I am sending this post to Kevin!

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    LOL! You can tell him he made the news!

     
  • At 8:21 PM, Blogger Christine & Giggs said…

    Great idea! This will surely help with the Secret Santa gift exchange. I hope the person I got does something like this!

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Punchbugpug said…

    Very nice idea! I'm not sure how much knitting I will be doing for a couple of months :(

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger Magnolia Sun said…

    What great ideas thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 8:51 AM, Blogger AM said…

    Well, I am completely out of blog ideas, so maybe I can come up with a list. Just gotta figure out what ON!

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger kristie said…

    oh i LOVE bamboo needles...once you use them there's no going back to anything else. they even get smoother with use don't you think?

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    Yes, they do get nicer with use. Apparently the oils from your skin rubs off on them. Gross.

     
  • At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I might be able to use some of those. If you ever find anything to make me go faster, or to knit without looking at my hands all I need to buy it. Experience will help I know. I have read that the bamboo is the best. I also need to learn to work with round needles but I have to finish this (seems like 80 feet long) scarf first.

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    I can't knit w/o looking at my hands either, and I've been knitting for 7 years, so don't feel bad.

    Round needles are usually not used to knit round things. You just use them because they give you more room for more stitches. So, you would knit a blanket or a shawl on round needles. You just wouldn't "connect" your work when you hit the end. You turn the needles when you hit the end of the row, just like when using straight needles.

    Double-pointed needles are usually used for round projects when you do want to connect your work at the end of a row, like when knitting the leg cuffs on a dog sweater or the collar on a human sweater.

     
  • At 5:02 PM, Blogger Archie and Melissa said…

    I am glad I found your blog. :) It looks like we both love yarn, pugs and knitting.
    It is very nice to meet you.
    Melissa
    http://www.pugnotes.com
    Uncommom Pug and Dog Art

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Pam said…

    I have some bamboo crochet needles that I love. I really need to experiment more wit knitting. Great list!

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Page said…

    I just picked up knitting last year, but have yet to move past making scarves. I learned by a book, but I'm more of a visual learner, so anything more complex I just don't understand because there is no one to SHOW it to me! Great post! I had no idea there was a knitting machine!

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger Frances Louise said…

    My Mommy is not a knitter but she has plenty of friends who are, so she is appreciative of your list!

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger L said…

    This post made me go out and buy some bamboo needles, they are seriously lovely!!!

    Also, I clicked the link for the nice knitting bag, but the calendar came up??

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Clover said…

    This is a great list! I am a beginner knitter, so some of these things sound sweet.

    Jess, Clover's mom

    P.S. Did you get the email about the secret santa from us?

     
  • At 9:20 AM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    lmizzle - The link is fixed. Thanks for letting me know!

    Clover - Yes, Woman got your email. I thought she responded to it. Sorry about that.

     
  • At 3:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Norman! Oh Christmas is so fun! You know why? Because I don't bother with buying gifts! I just receive them! :P
    Huuuugs!

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger The Devil Dog said…

    Norman, come see my blog. Mom explains about the cabinets, and shows more pictures.

    Also, mom'w favorite knitting book is Vogue Knitting, it's a tome. I'll tell you about mom's knitting stories later.

    Roxy

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Oscar said…

    I love bamboo knitting needles! They are mcuh easier to eat than Mommy's metal ones. Fortunately for me, mommy only uses bamboo.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home