Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Autumn Color

I had a pretty crappy weekend. The People left me alone Friday night, and then again most of the day on Saturday. They left me outside on Saturday, and they didn't make it home until it was already dark outside. Woman forgot to leave the light on for me, and the door to the porch slammed shut while I was up at the garden eating tomatoes, so I couldn't even get to my bed or my water. It was pretty darn cold outside too! Woman felt so bad about this that we snuggled on the couch for the rest of the night, but I am still holding a grudge.

On Saturday the People took a long drive up the Parkway to Graveyard Fields and went hiking. Here are some photos of their trip.

The mountains are lovely in their autumn colors.

mountain view parkway

Woman likes the red trees the best.

mountain view parkway

Graveyard Fields is the most popular hiking spot on the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is the paved pathway leading down to the trails.

winding path graveyard fields

The unpaved trail varies in diffculty level. Here is a pretty view of the split-wood fence on the easier part of the trail.

mountain view parkway

Some pretty leaves against a beautiful blue sky.

autumn leaves

Raised walkways are installed at various parts of the trail, because it gets really muddy at times.

graveyard fields

Other parts of the trail are very rugged and even cross through little creeks like this one.

ian crossing creek

The trail gets increasingly steeper as you approach the waterfall. This is the waterfall at the end of the 1.3 mile hike. It's really not much pay off for the length of the hike.

waterfall graveyard fields

This is the waterfall at the end of the .3 mile hike. Much better pay off I'd say!

graveyard fields waterfall

And here are the People at the waterfall. Notice that I am NOT there. The nerve!

ian and tammy at waterfall

Here is a photo of an awesome campsite at Graveyard Fields. Woman says we are going to go camp there next year. Woo-hoo!

cool campsite graveyard fields

The People also went to Biltmore that day. I will share some of those photos with you later. For now, I have to go nap in front of the window, because the sun is hitting the floor just right for Pug hide tanning!

17 Comments:

  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Ozzie, Rocky and Lola said…

    Oh Norman, what a beautiful place for a hike! We loved looking at all the beautiful colors of the leaves. Not too much of that goes on in So. Texas. Hope you will get to make that camping trip real soon! Sorry you got locked outside. That had to bite!
    Ozzie & Rocky

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Punchbugpug said…

    The hike looks wonderful! Too bad you couldn't go along too, but sometimes the mom and dad need to do human stuff alone. Sorry you got locked outside! Tell the Woman to be careful leaving you outside, one of the rescue sites had an article on a pug that got hurt by an animal that came in their backyard while she was out there alone. They think it was like a raccoon or something, but poor girl got pretty messed up. I know the woman would be SO upset with herself if that happened to you!

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger The Devil Dog said…

    You can join us at Daisy's if you want. Just let me know.

    Roxy

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a great place to go for an autumn hike! I love it!

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Frances Louise said…

    Wow -- So beautiful. I can't believe you were left behind, though. Make sure your humans take you next time -- it is very exhilerating to be able to poop and pee in the wild.

    I feel bad that you were all alone and locked outside. Make sure your Woman makes up for it with FULL-size cookies.

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Pam said…

    What a lovely place to go hiking Norman! I know you must be excited to go on the trip next time. The leaves are gorgeous!

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Daisy said…

    I have a big batch of Lizard Stew at my house if you want to teleport over! Oh, and lots of meats, too.

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    LOL Daisy! Do you have any broccoli? I eat lots of broccoli.

     
  • At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Norman,

    If the people ever find themselves in Southeastern PA, they should try hiking around there. It's beautiful! Just don't drive.

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Pugsley, Buster, Cricket & Daisy said…

    We sorry to hear you not gets to go on the hike. Maybe your "the mom" take you next time. The pictures are beautiful.

    Woofers,
    Four Pugz

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Leah said…

    Beautiful pictures!

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Tami said…

    Poor little Norman left out in the cold!
    Next time Woman and Ian should take you on a nice trail walk.

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Paula said…

    Nature at its best!

    Norman, Wowza, look what you got to look forward to next year.

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Christine & Giggs said…

    I gotta get my butt down to North Carolina! I am jealous of your red trees. The only red trees we seem to have in BC these days are the dead ones that the pine beetles leave behind!

    PS: Tell Ian that I like his man purse. He must be confident in his masculinity. Norman, you can admit that you didn't go because he's just not macho enough for you.

     
  • At 10:37 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    That is absolutely beautiful country where you live! I want to be there so badly. Beam me up! You have such a wonderful yard and deck area, I think it would be nice to spend the day out there. But not so nice to have the door shut on you so you can't get to your bed. You need a doorstop, little Goodboy Norman. I think the Mean One should get one of those baby carries that you wear and take you on the hike!

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Blogger Magnolia Sun said…

    What a beautiful area, I'm so sorry you got locked out but at least you had nice weather!

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    Christine - Ian wants you to know that he is not wearing a man purse - that is the camera bag, and he is carrying it. Woman thinks he looks cute carrying it, but he thinks he looks like he has a man purse. Today he declared, "That's the end of me carrying that thing." LOL!

    Sandy - No way Ian is going to carry me around. I kick, I bite. I'm not a pleasant little package.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home