Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Monday, August 18, 2008

Tagged by Le Pug

I got tagged by Le Pug to do a Meme. Don't worry - it didn't hurt when I got tagged. It was a cybertag. I'm going to let Woman do this Meme though since I'm busy "working." Here goes!

Rules: Obey the Pug, answer the following, and pass on!

1) How did you first learn about Pugs?

I had been a "cat person" up until New Year's Eve, 2000, when I met my first Pug. Her name was Maggie, and she belonged to Ian's college professor, Wanda. I instantly fell in love with her sweet little smashed face and curly tail. (Maggie's face and tail, not Wanda's, although Wanda is a cute little thing herself - LOL!) Maggie was a teeny little angel of a doggy, and when I bent down to pet her, she did a happy dance and spun around in joyful circles. I talk about her in the past tense only because we haven't seen Wanda and Maggie for over 5 years. I'm sure Maggie is doing just fine.

2) What made you get a Pug?

After the "New Year's Eve" incident, I began to hound Ian like CRAZY for a Pug of my own. My birthday came and went in April, and I was severely disappointed that no Pug arrived with it. Ian wanted to make sure I really wanted a dog and that it wasn't just a passing fad. I'm sure he was hoping it was just a fad! Finally, Ian caved in on our anniversary in June, and we began looking for a Pug baby.

3) Most memorable moment with your Pug (s).

Oh jeez, there are so many. I guess the one that I cherish most is when Norman was a puppy and would fall asleep on my chest. It was so precious. He doesn't sleep on my chest any more since he weighs too much, but he still curls up against my belly and purrs his little puggy purr every night on the couch.

4) What is the most important thing Pugs (or dogs) have taught you?

Before getting Norman, the mere THOUGHT of poop or vomit would make me dry heave. Chris can verify this, as he got a big kick out of making it happen. Norman's constant "accidents" in the house cured me pretty quickly!

5) Best Thing You Ever Did For Your Pugs….aside from loving them, keeping them healthy & happy, and giving them a great life.

**edited**

Apparently my original answer was offensive to people who have no choice but to board their animals at times, so I wanted to add a little commentary here in an attempt to keep people from spamming me with hate mail. First, not everyone thinks it is bad to board your pet. That's FINE! It's a personal choice. I don't want you to change your mindset just because of a personal choice I have made. For example, I don't think it's bad to feed Norman some table scraps. Other people are die-hard fanatics about no table food. It doesn't bother me one bit if those people state on their blog that table scraps are bad for dogs. It's all about choices.

I have been fortunate to have other options regarding boarding. I understand that no one *wants* to board their animal, but sometimes we have to, and I don't think that makes anyone a bad animal owner. Some day I might have to board Norman too, and I will hate that, but I have until now gone out of my way to find someone to housesit or someone for Norman to stay with. I have also canceled trips due to no available dogsitter. Trying to abide by this mindset has been a huge sacrifice and challenge for me, so it honestly is the best thing I think I have done for Norman. If you board your animals, it's FINE. I know everyone who reads this blog loves their pug just as much as I love Norman, and if you board your animals, I don't care.

6) Post your answers on why you “Adore Le Pug” on your blog and link to the blog who tagged you (or their blog post).

I was tagged by Adore Le Pug.

7) Tag 5 or more other bloggers.

I tag Punchy, Tami, Doozy, Lisa and Winston (and the stray).

19 Comments:

  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Nevis said…

    I know that you were trying to not offend anyone, but you really didn't succeed. I'm not a bad pug-mommy because we had our pugs boarded when we went on vaction. Some people just don't have any other option, and I don't think it's fair of you to imply that it makes us love our dogs any less because of it.

    I'm not angry or anything, I just don't think that was very cool of you.

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    I'm sorry it offended you. It's not that I don't think *any* dogs should be boarded it's that I don't think Norman has the personality that lends well to be boarding.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    Some people might say the best thing they do for their dog is not feed them any "human" food and stick only to dog food. Even though I feed Norman some human food, it doesn't offend me that other people don't think it's good for him. It's just personal choices. I don't judge anyone for the personal choices they make for their animals that are made with love. So please, don't think I am passing judgment on you. It's just a choice.

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hear what you are saying.. I personally can't afford to board my dogs so they get left with a few very good friends. And I am way to lazy to make them food, if I have the will power to do that I would be 30 lbs lighter as well! lol

    My husband gags and heaves over dog poop and vomit.. it is my job to deal with it... but that's ok, when we have kids.. that department is ALL his!! lol

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Tami said…

    Tammy, I would have enjoyed reading your original answer to #5. This is your blog and you should be able to be honest about your feelings. If people don’t like it, they can stop reading you. I know many people who have stopped reading me just because of my political views (not that I express them often, but I do have a banner on my sidebar). I have stopped reading certain blogs because I thought the Pugs were in poor living conditions in posted photos. Don’t be afraid to speak your mind and tell your true feelings.
    I posted my Meme :)

     
  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger The Devil Dog said…

    Oh dear! Well, I know for a fact that Lucky would not do well being boarded. After being in a four foot pen for four months, I would never do that to her. My mother can take her, but Roxy is much to (ahem) active for her. Roxy went to her breeder (who is a friend) the last time we went away. But that was two years ago. We haven't had to deal with it and I would be like you, trying to work around it. We are lucky, we have friends/family who can help out.
    I had to laugh at the table scraps part because my husband just finished feeding them both Macaroni & Cheese crackers, which they both love. And besides, how could I deny Roxy broccoli? I still think her eating it is hysterical.

    Roxy

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger ♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said…

    Hmmmm wondering what answer #5 was all about...sorry I missed it! GAH! anyway...I have the same thoughs on how I raise my Pugs, My pugs would not survive being borded.( then again I bet it would be harder on me..) , If I had no other option...I'd really have to give it a lot of thought. Mine get some table scraps too added into their dishes, They love the kids leftovers!

    So I am tagged....I guess I need to get working on it now...this one was a fun one to read.

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No offense taken! I wish I had a chance to read your original answer....you should be able to blog about whatever you want. That's the whole point of the blog, your (and Norman's) personal thoughts and stories.

    We each have our own circumstances and do our best for our animals. Everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want, we should all respect each other's choices and leave pleasant comments...this is a Pug dog blog for heaven's sake!

     
  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger AM said…

    I think I will do this one too! Maybe Wed.

    I agree about boarding. I've had to do it, and who knows what the future will bring, but I always feel sad about it. I much prefer a house sitter or dropping the pugs off with other pug people.

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    I have not boarded out pugs ever but the day may come at some point that I will need to do that. I love to keep other people's pugs or dogs. It's fun to have a house full. My parents board their dog if we are all going on a trip together and it's such a nice place where they board her and the vets are in-house there.

    I can clean up poop and pee and vomit from a dog, but a human....oh make me gag...

    If Norman comes to Camp Chichi sometime, he will have some fun with a taste of Subway!

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know what the original answer was either, but I'd say my dogs don't lend themselves to boarding really, either. I would if I had to though, as sometimes there's no choice. I'd probably worry about my dogs no matter where they were if they weren't with me!

     
  • At 7:13 AM, Blogger kristie said…

    i saw the original answer and was not offended at all (i have cats, does that matter?) i can assure you if i boarded any of them they would die. really. they couldn't handle being boarded. on the flip side, my MIL has boarded her cat at their vet and he does fine. perhaps he is a more easy going cat whereas all of mine are pretty much psycho in their own way!

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Nevis said…

    I would like to clarify my statement. I wasn't offended, in this..."I'll stop reading your blog forever, you're a horrible person!"-way. Quite the contrary. I love your blog, I think you're hilarious.

    But how you worded it originally, I ~did~ feel like you were looking down on those of us who have to board our pets when we go on vacation. And I really didn't understand that point of view...that's what I was trying to say. That's it.

    And you didn't have to edit your post. I was just making a comment. Sharing MY point of view, like...as if this were a conversation. You stated your point of view and I was debating with you. Editing your post wasn't necessary!!! :(

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, Just a quick two cents on this topic...we boarded our dogs, all four, during a recent July 4th vacation. My husband and I carefully researched vets and kennels near where we were staying. That way, we could see our dogs and take them for walks. This was a very positive experience for all of us. The kennel people were so nice, the puppies were happy to see them when we returned them for the night. I would much prefer my dogs being looked after by a caring kennel than being with people, even family, that can't handle four dogs at once. Our only option was to leave them with a family friend, with everyone elses dogs...that would have been 8 dogs for one person to look after. That's just too much!
    We don't like to board our dogs, it makes me cry everytime. But sometimes your options are limited. :o) Please keep up the great blog! I love Norman's spunky attitude, and your garden looks beautiful! Can you come to WA to fix mine?

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Puddleglum said…

    I think this is needed, so...

    Pug licks and snuffles to everyone! :)

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Another comment on this too... we all do things different for what we as individuals see as beneficial to our own dogs, boarding/not boarding, human food/zero human food.. etc. As long as we have their best interests at heart and we love and care for all our little furbabies, all is right in the world. Right?

    Well Norman you also forgot going through the bathroom garbage (Gus) and dumping the litter box out all over the floor (Gus) so that they both can eat the cat poo! :)

    Come over to my blog, you won an award!

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger Frances Louise said…

    I know people do things for their own reasons, and it doesn't make their decisions right or wrong (unless its criminal, of course).

    I was boarded once and my parents were very upset about doing it, but they had little choice at that time. I didn't mind so much, except I didn't get as much food (I eat table scraps too!) as I normally do.

    Awesome answers though . . . pugs rule!

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Any decision made from a place of love should be ok. And as we should have learned in kindergarten, don't say anything unless you have something nice to say. Love your blog, let the crabby commentors eat cake (or broccoli)!

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi! I have been reading your blog for a while and just love it. Coco is my first dog since I moved to the U.S. and I don't have relatives around... Coco has addison's disease and is blind. The fact is that he has been so many times to the vet that I don't think he feels uncomfortable when I leave him there for boarding (I travel quite often). My problem is when a friend (or even my husband!!!) offers to stay with him... it is hard for me to explain but I feel much better with Coco at the vet's because I know he will receive his daily medicine and he will be fine if a crisis arises. As you can see, each case is unique!
    Sandra & Coco

     

Post a Comment

<< Home