Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Crazy Scooter Man

When we were downtown for my birthday, I saw several bumper stickers that read, "Keep Asheville Weird." I wasn't exactly sure what that meant until we were leaving and happened upon this scene ....

An old man riding one of those motorized scooters (that improve the quality of your life) down the middle of the street.

man on zoomie scooter in the road

Swaying this way and that ...

man on zoomie scooter in the road

Not even signaling to make a left turn.

man on zoomie scooter in the road

LOL! Woman was laughing her fanny off. She thought this was just so hilarious. I wonder when a "motor" vehicle actually becomes a "motor vehicle." Is riding your zoomie scooter on the road like this legal? Does it have to have license plates? I'm perplexed. This is definitely weird! I guess the people with those bumper stickers want to ensure Asheville remains a safe haven for strange activity like this, and I agree, because it gives me blog fodder.

I will be in Mobile next week with limited access to my blog. I'll try to keep you all updated, but I'm not sure how consistent I will be. I hope you all have a nice week!

Here is a photo of me for you to enjoy. It's me holding a Goodboy Bone in my mouth. For some reason I didn't feel like eating this one right away, so I carried it around with me everywhere I went. I eventually did eat it - of course!

norman with a treat in his mouth

15 Comments:

  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I am laughing just like woman, Norman. I LOVE Asheville, exactly for this reason - you never know what you're going to see! Last time I was in A-ville, it was Earth week - so you can only imagine the crazy stuff that was going on at UNCA....good times....good times...

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger Jemima Jones Beck said…

    Hehehe! We have three people that live in our neighborhood that go out and ride their Hoverrounds (sp??) on the street in order to "get a little air".
    It would be totally ok except that one gentleman seems to enjoy going out in only boxers and a t-shirt and one time Mom saw his..."item" flopping out all over the place.
    It's funny now, but it wasn't at the time!
    Love,
    Jemima Jones Beck

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger The Devil Dog said…

    That is very, very funny, Norman. Mom saw a woman on one of those today, riding the wrong way down a one way street. Mom really wished she had gotten on the sidewalk where it was safer. Silly lady. What do you supposed happens to people like that if they are intoxicated? Do you think they get a ticket? Scooting while under the influence?
    Nice job carrying the bone around. that is pretty funny.

    Roxy

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Norman, are you going to the Brick Pit while in Mobile? Are you going to the beach while this way? Tell your Woman to e-mail me if she can!

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger Pam said…

    Good grief! Was there quite a bit of traffic around at the time? That's crazy!

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger Nevis said…

    Love the photo. And I ~have~ seen old people driving their scooters on streets before. But no, I think it's illeagal.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Clover said…

    Haha - that is very funny! Great pictures!
    Hope you are having fun in Mobile!
    Love Clover xo

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger Clover said…

    Mom just remembered - she saw a lady in Ottawa riding one of those once, turning into a shopping mall. (Mom was in the parking lot of the mall.) A car came around the corner, hit the lady's scooter and kept going!! Mom checked on the lady, and she was fine, but the lady told her that happened all the time!! Crazy!

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger Clover said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Frances Louise said…

    Oooo, driving like that scooter man would make Mommy crazy!

    Have fun in Mobile -- how will you get there? (Not scooter driving, I hope)

     
  • At 8:25 PM, Blogger Too Cute Pugs said…

    Asheville sounds like a fun, crazy place. Maybe one day we will invent a pug scooter and come scooting there!

    Pug snorts from,
    Pearl & Daisy

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger Magnolia Sun said…

    Oh my goodness that is too funny and a brave man.

     
  • At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe the driver was from Britain:

    http://arbroath.blogspot.com/2008/04/pensioner-on-4mph-scooter-halts-70mph.html

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Norman, you have been tagged! Check out our blog to find out what to do!
    -Winston and Clementine

     
  • At 11:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I have also found various varieties of scooter online and just going to buy it. If you have any suggestions, then please suggest here. Thanks.

    scooter

     

Post a Comment

<< Home