Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Second Semester

We took Norman to the University of Tennessee last week for his first radiation treatment.  They were very concerned that he would bloat again, so they took many precautions to guard against it.  His treatment started at 10am and he was ready for release at 3pm.  Everything looked good - no bloat, no oxygen tent required.  Ian wanted to see the new Batman movie on the imax at 3:20pm, so we didn't pick Norman up until 6:30pm. 

When they brought him out, he looked like a giant Butterball turkey - he was severely bloated - he could barely walk.  I chastised the girl for not noticing, and she got the Doctor on call.  The Doctor said they had checked him an hour before, and that he was fine.  Two hours later they decided to do nothing and send us home with a noticeably uncomfortable dog.

The two hour car ride home was horrible.  Norman was moaning and whining.  He was very uncomfortable.  It was dark out, and the road between Knoxville and Asheville is really curvy.  I was freaking out, because I couldn't make him feel any better - I felt so helpless.  An hour and a half later on the road, he vomited all over me, and his bloat immediately relieved.  I was grateful that I had a towel on my lap, and very happy that the bloat incident was over.  We got home around 11pm, and he's been doing fine ever since.

His breathing is completely better.  He no longer pants like he did before his treatment, and he can breathe through his nose.  The Oncologist said it would take 4-6 weeks to shrink the tumor, but I am confident that the first treatment has already been effective.

We go back tomorrow for round two of four.  They are going to try to sedate him lighter than last time, and we are going to take him home as soon as possible.  I think they are also going to administer his first round of chemotherapy tomorrow, which scares me.  Paws crossed that he doesn't bloat this time and that the chemo doesn't cause further complications.  He's a strong little fella, and he's been through a lot over the past month, but I think he's still got a lot of life left in him.  I'm doing all that I can to help him live it.

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home