Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

One Tough Pug

Woman here, posting for Norman.

If you're friends with me on Facebook, you already know that Norman has been diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma on his upper palate.  Norman hasn't been keeping up with his blog over the past year, and I don't want to be one of those people who posts the long, painful details of our dog's struggle with cancer, so if you want to get updates on Norman, please leave your Facebook username in the comments of this post, and I'll friend you.  I will delete the comment after I friend you, so it isn't hanging around the Internet indefinitely.

The quick and the dirty facts - his cancer is not curable, but we are going to do all we can to push it back for as long as possible. 

The more detailed facts - We suspected there was something wrong with him 4 weeks ago when he started breathing very oddly, as though his right nostril was blocked.  There was also a mucous discharge so we thought he just had a cold.  When the mucous didn't improve a week later, we had the Vet examine him more closely, at which time she found a lesion on his upper palate.  She biopsied it and learned about the cancer. 

He had a CT scan at the University of Tennessee last week that revealed the cancer is far more invasive than they would have imagined, and has begun to break down the bone under his eye socket.  The Oncologist recommended chemo and radiation, which would extend his life by 8-10 months.  Without treatment, his prognosis is a heart breaking 3 months.  The first treatment was supposed to start the next day.  Unfortunately, after the CT, Norman's stomach began to bloat.  The Vet put a tube down his nose to relieve the bloat and inadvertently punctured his stomach leading to an emergency operation to flush out the abdomen and repair the tear.  They couldn't find a tear and suspect it was very small.  He was put on antibiotics and sent home with the hope that he would not develop an infection.  Five days later there is no sign of infection.

Due to his reaction to anesthesia, the Vet is now apprehensive to do the radiation.  I, of course will push for that treatment option.  We cannot start chemo until the foot-long incision in his abdomen heals, so we're in a holding pattern.  I will call the Oncologist tomorrow to discuss our radiation options - I'm not giving up on that possibility.

I am a wreck, of course, but I am trying to hold it together as best as possible so I can enjoy the time I have left with my big man.  Your prayers are always appreciated.

18 Comments:

  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Wilma said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:09 AM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Tammy, thanks for posting this. I was curious how you found out about the cancer. You all in my thoughts and prayers all the time. I understand what you're facing. Ed is very sorry to hear this too. This is one of the hardest decisions to make because it's unthinkable to let your puggy go without doing everything possible...but you will know when it's time. I can tell you from experience, that as sad and heartbreaking as it is to have your loving pug go to doggy heaven, you will be smiling and laughing and talking about their crazy antics and stories and your heart will not be hurting ....just happy that you had them for the short time you did!

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Robin Mackintosh said…

    Tammy-I am devastated about this. I have enjoyed Norman's adventures for a long time. We lost our beloved Max to what I believe was the same thing Norman has. Max started with sneezing and a runny nose. We finally figured out what it was when a tumor started to show in his nostril. He actually sneezed it out and we immediately sent it to be tested. Please add me to your FB page and if I can help in anyway with our knowledge of this, please do not hesitate to let me know. The oncologists we dealt with here were very good and our regular vet a saint.
    Much love and strentgh to you and Norman-Robin

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Robin Mackintosh said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger Manda Girl said…

    I am so very sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how hard to it would be to know that your time with Norman will be cut short. I wish him all the love and comfort that he has enjoyed his entire life. Our prayers and pug hugs are with you. Please keep us posted. xoxo Manda, MeiMei and Miko

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Manda Girl said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger Lex said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Pam said…

    I've been thinking about you all. Cancer sucks! I know that he's happy to just be home with you and Ian. Many hugs to you and Mr. Norman!

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Please keep me updated
    Kathy Anderson

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger Swampgirl said…

    So sad to read this today. We lost our beloved Eli last year and it was so heartbreaking. We had wonderful care at the Auburn Vet School but it was a very rare and fast moving prostate cancer that had already spread to his bone. We are sending our prayers!

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    Hi Kathy - I am having trouble finding you on FB - can you link your page please?

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I am sorry, I joined facebook just to get updates on Norman and for some reason it's not working so I will give you my daughters--
    (Maddie Anderson). Thank you so much.
    Kathy, Chugs and Chewbie

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger erika swain said…

    Oh sweetie! I am so sorry! I have enjoyed reading the blog for a while now and love your stories! My pugs and I send our love to you and Norman!!

     
  • At 2:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I have been reading Norman's blog for years. I too have a pug with this same diagnosis. Please add me as Facebook friend. marianne.broughton.9 is my Facebook address.
    Thanks
    Marianne Broughton

     
  • At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please add us (bruiser, gizmo, wiggles) as Facebook friends. Our woman's name is Tina Hall Nelson.

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Blogger Southern Fried Pugs said…

    I am so sorry for this diagnosis. I can tell you that my foster pug Quincy went through chemo and did great. No side effects at all. He didn't do radiation though.

    One thing that really helped me figure out what to do was an ebook about surviving dog cancer. It goes through chemo, radiation as well as other things you can do like massage, diet, etc. If you email me southernfriedpugs at gmail dot com, I am happy to send you my copy.

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    im praying for Norman and hope he pulls through! please add me so I can keep up to date!!
    jaymaiwu@yahoo.com

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Packers And Movers Bangalore said…

    Packers and Movers Bangalore Home Services Bangalore based Company which offers versatile solutions, Right team that easily reduce the stress associated with a ShiftHousehold Shifting, *** Vehicle Transportation. Affordable, Reliable Shifting Services, Compare Shifting Charges @ Packers And Movers Bangalore

     

Post a Comment

<< Home