Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Friday, July 06, 2012

Prickly Pug

As I have been getting older, I've noticed more and more pain in my hips and have been less able to jump up on the couch and the deck.  It's really embarrassing, but Woman has to pick me up onto the couch and carry me back into the house after I do my outside business.  I've been on Dasuquin (a joint supplement) and Metacam (a pain medicine) since January, but those meds aren't working as well as they used to, so Woman decided to take the next step toward my hip health.

For the past three weeks, I have been going to physical therapy where I am forced to walk on an underwater treadmill and do other unnatural things like balance on a wobbly board and traverse an obstacle course.  Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am having trouble breathing under heavy exertion, so we are thankfully stopping physical therapy.  Did I mention that I really hated physical therapy?  Puggy don't like to be underwater!  So, Woman started searching for other options to keep me mobile, and decided to try acupuncture.

Here I am yesterday at my first trip to the Acupuncturist.

I have needles sticking out of my butt and my head!  Pretty cool, eh?  Those wires that you see are sending an electric pulse through the needles.  Freaky, indeed, but it has helped tremendously!  I was able to jump up onto the deck today all by myself, and Woman said I am walking much better this morning!

Woman was impressed with how good a boy I was during my session.  I told her I was just trying to hold still, because I was afraid of where else they might try to stick those needles if I wiggled around too much!

I have to go to the Acupuncturist once a week for the next four weeks, and then we will evaluate my progress to determine if we can cut back to every other week.  If you are a puggy with hip problems, I encourage you to give acupuncture a try!

9 Comments:

  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger Jen and Suki said…

    My mama is a human with problems (not hip tho) and she swears by acupuncture. I don't know why you didn't like the water, friend! I am a HUGE fan of swimming. (Probably because I overheat easily due to my double coatedness). You're still handsome as ever, chap.

    xo
    Suki Sumo

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Page said…

    Yay! Glad the acupuncture worked for you! We can't wait to scratch your butt on Tuesday! ;)

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Robin Mackintosh said…

    I am thinking about acupunture for my old guy, Odie. I will be following your progress. Good luck!

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger Wilma said…

    Oh Norman! I am so happy for you that you are getting acupuncture. I have been going since I was three, and diagnosed with a luxating patella. My regular vet cant even feel where I had a problem. Last year My sister Brigitte started coming for her arthritis in her paw. It helps us both so tremendously! We are so happy when we see other pug friends benefitting from this therapy. By the way, I only need to go every six to eight weeks now.

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Hey Norman...I'm glad your mom found you something new to try and that it's working for you so far. You are lucky to have good treatment plans up there in Asheville. I hope you feel better every day. I'd like to give you a squeeze!

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger Wilma said…

    By the way Norman, that pin in your forehead is called happy thoughts. I love that one!

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Good to hear from you again Norman.
    Glad to hear you are doing well, we missed you.
    When do we get to see a picture of you and Magic?

    Love your new friends,
    Chugs and Chewbie
    ( black and fawn bug boys)
    and yes, he was named after your
    Chewbear!

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Southern Fried Pugs said…

    Acupuncture is awesome! Isabelle gets it for her arthritis and it has really helped her. Hope you get the oozy, relaxed feeling from it. Isabelle is pretty antsy at the vet, but a Healthy Edible bone changes everything.

     
  • At 5:26 AM, Blogger Vlogger said…

    We make your moving day as smooth and stress-free as possible. Our Home furniture shifting service from Chennai to Cochin Kerala is affordable

     

Post a Comment

<< Home