Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Monday, October 06, 2008

Bridal Showers are for Sissies

Woman had a bridal shower on Sunday for Allison, Ian's seester, and I was NOT invited! Do you know what it means when there is a party at your house and the Pug is not invited? It means the Pug gets locked outside! OUTSIDE! It was awful I tell you, just awful. I felt like some sort of mutt dog that has been taken to the pound. Buddy was there, but he's no help. He just sits there and stares with his sad eyes or rolls around in the grass like there's nothing wrong. He never has much to say about nothin'.

Apparently, Woman really likes to host parties, and she had a good time planning for and hosting this one. I'm glad she had fun, because I had no fun at all. I did get to come in at the very end when people were leaving, but I could smell that many other people had been there and left before I was invited into the house, and that ticked me off. So I barked. I barked and barked at Woman to let her know how upset I was. I think she got the picture. She tried to placate me with a treat, but I snubbed my nose at it and barked at her some more. Silly Woman. It's my house too!

Since you don't really know the people who were at the bridal shower, I won't bore you with a million photos of them. I will just give you a quick overview. There were 21 people in our little house. That's a lot of people. It took two photos to capture them all, and there were still some hiding in a corner I think.

allison opening gifts

guests at the shower

They had some food, tea and punch.

food

... and they played some fun games. The guests played bridal bingo, the "birthday & anniversary" game and story pass for prizes.

For bridal bingo, the hostess provides a bingo card with all blank squares, and each guest fills each square with a present they think the bride will open during the shower. As the bride is opening presents, they mark squares off their sheets. When they get 5 in a row, they win a prize! It kept the guests busy during present opening, which can be boring for people to watch.

The "birthday & anniversary" game is pretty simple. As guests arrive, they sign in and include their wedding anniversary and birth date on the sign-in sheet. Whoever's anniversary is closest to the wedding date wins a prize, and whoever's birth date is closest also wins a prize.

Story pass is a fun game. All the guests sit in a circle, and the hostess distributes the remaining prizes to people around the circle. The hostess then reads a story about the bride and groom that is full of the words "left" and "right." Each time the hostess says the word "left" or "right," the guests pass the presents in that direction. At the end of the story, whoever is holding a prize gets to keep it.

Allison played groom trivia and wedding night blackout.

For groom trivia, the hostess asks the bride questions about the groom. For each question she gets right, she gets a dove chocolate. For each question she gets wrong, she gets a piece of bubblegum put in her mouth. Woman asked Allison 18 questions, and she got 10 wrong, so she had a lot of gum in her mouth at the end. Allison was not a good sport during groom trivia. I guess she doesn't like gum.

During wedding night blackout, the bride is blind-folded and a suitcase full of clothes is placed in front of her. She then has to get ready for a night on the town with her new hubby wearing the blindfold. The funny part is to put silly clothes in the suitcase. It was quite humorous. She had on garden boots, a red fuzzy hat, snorkling goggles and a big dress thing at the end.

You can browse the photos if you're interested. You're probably not though, since I am not in any of them.

Mr. Ian came home last night, so my nights on the big bed are over. Phooey!

14 Comments:

  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger Sandra y Coco Pug said…

    Sounds like a great party, Norman. I am sure that your mom will make it up orginizing a huge birthday party for you!

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Blogger Page said…

    I can't believe you were shut out of the shower! Then again, you are a boy and you probably wouldn't have enjoyed it anyhow...showers are very girlie. But, more importantly, how was your vet appt??

    P.S. I have to tell your Woman that Winston and Sela's favorite toy now is Hedgie (our name for Hootie's cousin). They carry that thing all over the house! LOL!

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh boy Norman! That sucks! Doesn't woman know that you are the life of the party??
    ANd how did the vet go? get lots of cookies for being good?

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Nevis said…

    Too bad Norman wasn't in the suitcase...! That would've been a fun surprise! :P

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Pam said…

    It sounds like the party was a success. I like the idea of the bridal bingo game, I had not heard of that one before.

    I'm sorry you weren't invited Norman. I agree, I think you should have hid in the suitcase.

     
  • At 12:20 PM, Blogger Tami said…

    I hope it wasn't too hot outside for you, Norman! It sounds like you missed a great party :)

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Those all sound like great games! I know you're still mad at her, but could you please pass along the message to woman that she sounds like a great hostess? Thanks, Norman.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Clover said…

    Hi Norman,
    I can't believe you weren't invited to the party! They wouldn't have needed games at all with you there to entertain... oh well.
    Looks like it was a great party, so I am sorry you missed it!
    Love Clover xo

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger The Devil Dog said…

    Sounds like a great party except for the fact that you were outside! Great games Woman has. They are all very creative.

    Roxy

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger AM said…

    Norman- I am dissapointed that you didnt dress up in a little pink skirt/top ensemble and try and pass yurself off as one of the guests. ;)

    Glad the party was a success!

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Blogger Sandy said…

    Norman, I would have come out in the yard to visit with you and maybe sneak you a bite to eat. I like the sound of those games. Looks like a great time and a super turnout for the seester.

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger kristie said…

    norman, i canNOT believe you were shut out of the party. everyone knows you are the life of any party. if i ever get married again, you are SO going to be my guest of honor.

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Frances Louise said…

    Locked out! Don't worry, Norman, bridal showers generally are pretty boring for guys. Those sound like fun games they were playing.

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Clover said…

    Hi Tammy,
    Thanks for your advice about our school issue - I appreciate it!
    Jess

     

Post a Comment

<< Home