Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Thursday, August 02, 2012

Breathe Right

I am really excited to report that Norman is breathing through both nostrils this morning!  The tumor was blocking his right nostril completely, causing him to breathe heavily.  I checked him this morning, and there is air coming from that nostril!  It's not nearly as much as the left, but it shows that the tumor is shrinking!  He has also not had any gross discharge from the right nostril in two weeks now - another great sign!

Over the past three weeks I have had a little taste of what it would be like to have a baby.  Norman doesn't sleep well, and I have to get up with him at least twice a night, but always at 2am and then again at 4am.  He starts panting heavy, and not only is he uncomfortable, but who can sleep with a heavy panting dog in the room?  So I get up, ice him down with a cold pack and massage him until he stops panting and falls back asleep - usually about 20 minutes or so.  Poor little pup.  I'm not sure what's causing it - could be pain from his arthritis, or he's having trouble breathing, or he's just getting old and a little bit of dementia is setting in.  I'm sure the radiation near his brain isn't helping with the whole dementia thing.  He sleeps fine during the day, but nights are a challenge.

We go back to UT tomorrow for round 3 of radiation, and they will probably administer the chemo too.  His sutures look good and healed up on his tummy, so I think Dr. Lee will approve the chemo.  I'm pretty nervous, but he's made such great strides in the past two weeks that I'm also very encouraged!

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers.  Your cyber support is priceless.

7 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home