Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Camping Weekend

We went camping at Max Patch this weekend. I got to sleep in a tent! It was pretty awesome.

We did not camp right on top of Max Patch, because it is really windy up there, and we couldn't build a fire, but we did hike up and spend time enjoying the view.

Ena led the way up the trail. She's a pretty good guide - we didn't get lost once! Not bad for someone who will be two-years-old in September. She could work a bit on her "banter" though. She seemed to just say, "Hi Sarah" over and over again, which had little relevance to the sights and sounds of the hike.

ena at max patch

Here we are hiking. Can you believe Woman had me on a leash? In the wild? I'm a dog! Let me run!

hiking max patch

The view on the way to the top.

view at max patch

One of the views at the top. The cool thing about Max Patch is that you get a 360 degree unobstructed view of the surrounding mountains. And also, there are lots of things to sniff and pee on! You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

view at max patch

Here is the geologic survey marker at the highest point of Max Patch. Yes, I did pee on it in case you are wondering. It's an important artifact. I needed to show it some appreciation.

geologic survey at max patch

I made some new friends on this camping trip. First there was Rooney, Tara's new puppy. He runs fast and likes to roll in stinky things. I kept my distance from him most of the time due to the smell.

rooney

And also I met some dudes who were hiking a little bit of the Appalachian Trail. Their names were "This Dude" and "That Other Dude". I'm not so good with remembering names. Maybe one of them was Andrew? I dunno. They smelled slightly better than Rooney, so I hung out with them a little more than him.

norman makes friends at max patch

The ladies decided at one point that it would be a good idea to build a human pyramid. I think they pulled it off well.

girlie pyramid at max patch

When you go camping, you have to hike away from camp to find somewhere "private" to pee. This took a little getting used to for me. Here I am on my way back from a bathroom break.

norman at max patch

We celebrated Sarah's birthday with champagne at sunset. This is the face she made when I told her I was going to tell everyone on my blog that she is 29!

sarah opens champagne atop max patch

The People said the views were really pretty.

sunset at max patch

I wouldn't really know, because I see best with my nose, and since I couldn't sniff Pisgah National Forest's butt, I couldn't really tell you what it looks like.

view at max patch

I was glad to get home to my real bed and my toys, but I do look forward to our next camping trip in two years or so. Who else likes to go camping? Do you sleep in a tent or right on the ground? Have you ever been eaten by a bear?

5 Comments:

  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger C.l.o.v.e.r. said…

    Hi Norman!
    Wow, that looks like such a fun trip! I have never been camping, or eaten by a bear. Did you guys see any bears while you were there?!
    xo

     
  • At 11:18 AM, Blogger Page said…

    Winnie and Sela love camping! They sleep in the tent and actually Winnie sleeps in Rob's sleeping bag and Sela sleeps in mine. I don't know how they breathe down there but they hardly come up for air. The view is gorgeous!! Did you sleep in the sleeping bag, Norman?

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger S. Spooner said…

    Thank you for that photo, Norman. I wish I had one of your face when baby Ena dumped all your food out on the ground.
    Humph. :)

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    Clover - We did not see any bears. We did see a lot of horses though. They have the biggest poops ever. Rooney rolled in some of it.

    Page - I tried to sleep in Woman's sleeping bag, but she was afraid I would suffocate, so she unzipped it and just let me sleep beside her.

    Big Girl Sarah - You know you're always excited when you make the blog. Don't pretend you don't love it. LOL!

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooh how fun!! Max Patch looks gorgeous as does Pisgah national forest!!

    We try to go camping once a year atleast, we sleep in a tent and Gus and Indy get their own little corner to sleep in which can usually last all of ten minutes depending on how cold it gets at night! lol
    One of the last times we went, indy wandered off and i found her in the campsite next door being fed beef jerky by some japenese girls! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home