Goodboy Norman Featherstone

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bubbles

Norman is busy playing with Pugsley and June Bug right now, so I, Woman, will be making today's post.

When I'm working in the garden, my mind seems to wander here and there, searching for something interesting to think about. Today it landed on Bubbles the Chimp. For some reason I had that song, "Man in the Mirror" stuck in my head, and I started wondering if really wealthy powerful people like the CEO of BP were ever inspired by lyrics on a personal level and possibly "changed" their ways as a result. Then I started thinking about that episode of the Simpsons,
Stark Raving Dad, where Homer got committed to an insane asylum for wearing a pink shirt and met a big white guy who claimed he was Michael Jackson . When Bart talked to the guy on the phone, he asked him to name his last three Grammy dates to prove he really was Michael Jackson, and one of the dates was Bubbles the Chimp. This got me wondering what happened to Bubbles the Chimp. Did Michael still have him when he died, or was Bubbles just filling in as a temporary child until Michael could get some "real" children in his life?

Interesting thoughts, eh?

After finishing up my gardening work, I sat down at the computer to start my "real" job, which always begins with a perusal of CNN to ensure the world has not exploded over night. What do I see under the front page of the entertainment section, but a story about Bubbles the Chimp! (click that link with caution - there is a huge photo of La Toya at the top, and man is she frightening.)

Michael adopted Bubbles from a research center in the early 80's and surrendered him to the Center for Great Apes in Florida in 2004 when he became too aggressive to keep as a "pet." His first child was born in 1997, so my "surrogate child" theory was probably a bust. Michael had visited Bubbles several times over the past year before he died, which is sweet to learn. Maybe next time I'm in Wauchula I'll pay him a visit too. Oh yikes - I just checked where Wauchula is located - a little too far South for me. Maybe I'll just send him an email.

So, if you've ever wondered what goes on in this head of mine, now you know. Scary and kind of boring, eh?

3 Comments:

  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger Kitty+Coco said…

    Have to admit, we have never wondered very much about Bubbles. Good to know that he is in a good place. However, we have wondered what happened the actors from The Ten of Us. Little known show that was on in the 90's. We have just shared in your wierdness.

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger Goodboy Norman Featherstone said…

    Everyone should do their very own "where are they now" post.

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Wilma said…

    Hmmmm.... youmay have stumbled on to something there Norman. I think I'll have to have a conversation with Mom about the old days, when there were only TV antennae, and like 3 channels!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home